Thursday

Rolling Meals

Rolling meals? What is that?

No, I do not strap my food to a go cart or skateboard and let it ride, although my boys might think that's cool! Rolling meals is what I call using ingredients from one meal to make another. This is not serving leftovers, although we do that here, too.

This is purposeful planning to use ingredients or courses from one meal in another. Here's an example of what I did the other night:

It was Tuesday, and my daughter takes a writing class in the late afternoon. I have to have dinner made, cooking, or in the crockpot on Tuesdays before I leave. I put bone-in chicken breast with BBQ sauce into the crockpot in the morning, had a tossed salad made, roasted green beans with pecans from the night before, and when I came home I made garlic mashed potatoes (using dehydrated potatoes from my food storage).

I cooked enough potatoes for Wednesday nights dinner at the same time -Shepherds Pie. This dish is like a meat and vegetable pie and is traditionally topped with a layer of mashed potatoes and then baked until they are golden.

Another way to do this is to serve baked whole chicken one night, then de-bone it and use the meat for burritos or chicken soup the next night. I'm sure you've all done that, right? If not, it's something easy to try.

How about cooking enough rice for dinner that you can use to make rice pudding for breakfast the next morning? Yum, that sounds good right about now. You get the idea, right? Good, because I think I need to hit the kitchen. I'm hungry!

Thanks for stopping by,

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment